What should you do if you chip a tooth?The first thing you should do when you chip a tooth is call us ASAP at 502-365-9699 to schedule an appointment. In the meantime while you’re waiting to see us, you can take an over-the-counter painkiller to alleviate any pain, rinse your mouth out with water or a salt water mixture to help clean out your mouth, and use an ice pack on the outside of the mouth to reduce any swelling.
How does the dentist fix a chipped tooth?The way we treat a chipped tooth depends on how severe the chip is, but for small, straightforward chips, we’ll opt for bonding treatment. Dr. Tran is a dental bonding specialist and has the expertise to fix any chipped tooth so you don’t need to worry about a less than perfect smile!
- The process of tooth bonding begins with preparing the tooth for bonding by smoothing out the shape for optimal bonding.
- Next, Dr. Tran will apply a strong plastic material, called a composite resin, to the area of the tooth where the chipping occurred to fill in the space made by the chipped tooth. This composite resin will be the same color of your teeth so your smile will look natural. No one will be able to tell that you chipped your tooth!
- Finally, Dr. Tran will shape, trim, and polish the composite resin. When you look in the mirror you won’t be able to even tell where the bonding occurred!
- Depending on the severity of your chipped tooth, additional procedures that we might perform include placing a dental crown, adhering dental veneers, performing root canal therapy, or utilizing dental implants.
How can I avoid chipping a tooth?While chipping a tooth could be the result of an accident, there are a few things you can do to make sure you don’t chip your teeth:
- You should never try to open a bottle, packages, or anything else with your teeth.
- Stay away from very hard foods. Avoid chewing on ice and hard candy.
- Wear a mouthguard while you’re playing contact sports.
We Can Restore Your Chipped Tooth!If you ever chip your tooth, be sure to call us immediately so we can take care of you as soon as possible.
Posted on behalf of Dr. Lan Tran, Springhurst Hills Dentistry
Louisville, KY 40241
Contact us today to see how we can help you and your family get healthy smiles!Send Us An Email